Housing Disrepair

If you are a tenant living in rented property which has fallen into disrepair you may have a disrepair claim against your landlord/Council/ Housing Association. If you have reported these required repairs and the landlord has failed to repair faults or not kept the house in good condition you may find that your home becomes damaged. All landlords have a legal obligation to maintain the structure and exterior of their property to a reasonable standard of repair for the tenant.

What type of claim can you make?

If your property has any of the following damage, please contact us.

  • Damp & Mould On Walls
  • Water Damage From Leaks
  • Damage To Internal Gas or Water Pipes
  • Defective Boilers
  • Broken Heating System/Radiators
  • Internal Damage To Wallpaper, Paint, Carpets, Curtains
  • Rat or Mouse Problems
  • Damaged or Leaking Roof/Gutters
  • Broken Bathroom Fittings
  • Damage To Any Electrics
  • Broken, Rotten Windows/Doors

Plus any other damage to your property, no matter how minor.

If any of the above applies to your situation, it’s likely that you have a claim for compensation. Find out today how we can help.

What can you make a claim for?

  • Damage to belongings – this includes the value of the damage in your claim for compensation. Examples of this can include mould-affected clothing and bedding, carpets ruined by a leak or electrical appliances damaged by electrical problems. Compensation for damage to belongings will only cover the cost to you of repairing or replacing the damaged goods. This would mean that you may get less than the cost of the item new, as you would be expected to buy second hand items to replace them. You would need evidence such as photographs, and receipts to show you have had to purchase a replacement or repair the item or items.
  • Personal injury – you can claim for any ill health that the disrepair has caused yourself or anyone who is living within the property. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of your illness and how long it has lasted. You will also be able to recover any financial losses you have incurred as a result of your illness such as lost earnings.
  • Any inconvenience – that you have been caused by the disrepair that can either be a miscellaneous cash sum or a partial rebate of your rent for the affected property during the period of disrepair. For example, if you are unable to sleep in your bedroom due to severe mould and damp, you can claim for the effect this had on your ability to use your home.

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on the severity of the disrepair, how long the disrepair has been present and the effect on you as an individual.

Our team is experienced in helping people who have suffered because of failures on the part of their landlord, especially against local councils and housing associations. We understand that making a claim against your landlord may appear daunting at first, but we are here to make sure the process remains as straightforward and stress-free as possible. We will guide you through the entire process, providing the assistance you require every step of the way.

In most cases, we can offer what are called conditional fee arrangements (“no win, no fee”) and “after the event” insurance to protect you from the costs associated with your case.

Call us on 0161 883 2341 to receive expert advice from one of our specialist lawyers on a no win no fee basis.

Other Practice Areas

Request A Call Back